Thursday, July 8, 2010

One man's dream....

I'm married. Happily so! My wife and I have been married since May of 2009, and we've been together since another six years before that. Like spouses the world over, she recognizes that a large part of her job is to make my life more difficult for little to no discernible reason. I do my best to repay her in kind, but this month she's made a decision that'll put her in the lead for some time to come.

My wife has decided to volunteer for 3 weeks in Ghana. She's attached herself to a pretty cool program, and she'll be working at an orphanage run by the Order of the Holy Paraclete in Mampong in the Ashanti region. She's always dreamed of giving of herself selflessly to help people in far-off places, so naturally I encouraged her to fly to the ends of the earth in pursuit of that goal. I'm just that good.

But where does this leave me? Sure, it's only three weeks, but here -- just when I'm settling in and finally finding a routine that ensures a happy cohabitation -- she's up and leaving me to my own devices. And what devices they are!

This blog is a record of my thoughts, cares, and (most importantly) foods consumed during my revived period of bachelorhood. I don't want you to get the impression that usually my wife does all the housework -- far from it -- but I do have a bit of trouble from time to time finding the motivation to help out. So without her to help clean, cook, and console me after facing the harsh ravages the world throws my way, how will I get by? Will it be a non-stop orgy of candy, video games, and morose musings on the nature of loneliness and companionship? Or, having never really lived by myself before, will this be a wonderful chronicle of nascent self-reliance? Come with me, dear readers, as we journey down this obstacle course of single living, this parable of independence, this odyssey of culinary, recreational, and social endeavor...together!

No comments:

Post a Comment